Thursday, May 12, 2011

Love is Medicine

"Love is Medicine"
This word i quote from a senior, who help me and support me a lot during my first year.

Obstetric and Gynecology posting,
I heard many people said,"Can cabut early, don't so stupid stay there until 6am in the morning" ; "Very waste time, cannot study at all, better go back and have rest." and etc.... Initially i felt the same, i feel that i am going to be them, cabut early, go back sleep rather stay in the smelly labour room. But i end up go back room at 6am, 7:30am the most!! Hmmmm!

I am not the one who very hardworking though, I am just trying to be more responsible. Imagine yourself if you are the houseman, will you said:" Oh, erm.... i go back first, help me cover cover?" or you will skip your oncall and let the patient suffer or let them die? I know i am a bit over the topic since we are not doctor yet, but when are we going to learn? After becoming houseman only we learn? will it be too late?

I know sometimes we have to enjoy the life as a student, but mind ourself, we are dealing with life, not something that life-less. At labour room doesn't mean learn nothing, talking to patient is a skills, comforting patient also a skills! Will you like the Doctor who did things very tak mengendah-endah kind, very no manners or tak peduli? Will you allowed your parents to seek help from these kind of Doctor? No, right? In order to become a good Doctor, we have to train ourself from now...

Talking to patient itself is a skills that we have to learn. My senior who told me "Love is Medicine". She used 1 hour plus to deal with 1 patient!!! That's why she don't have any clinical partner, because her friends said she is very SLOW. According to her, she can talk to a patient from A to Z, and from 1 to 100. I salute her as i still cannot did that still. But what i learnt from her is, make the patient as friend!! At least concerning about his/her background! This is the least things that we can do.

Patient also has their own feeling and own thought. Putting ourself in patient's situation, we can be different with others as we concerning not only his/her disease, but as a whole. Remember, as Christian Medical student or Christian Doctor, we should to learn to be like Jesus, so that it may touch their heart. Let them know that we are different from others.

No matter what it is,
I am not trying to become a very GREAT Doctor,
but at least I am trying to become a GOOD Doctor.

1 comment:

Michelle Tan Yi Shin said...

good good good!!! gambateh!!1 ^^